Francis Johnston

Life
1761-1827; b. Armagh; himself the son of an architect and author of St George’s Church, Temple St. [viz., Hardwicke Pl.]; also the Chapel Royal and the GPO; completed adaptation of Houses of Parliament; made alterations to the Vice-Regal Lodge; designed Townley Hall (later the agricultural station of TCD); appt. adviser the Nelson Pillar project, 1808-09; involved in est. RHA, 1823, of which he was president for some years, and whose in Abbey St. building he designed (destroyed in the 1916 Rising). DIH

[ top ]

References
See Christine Case & Alistair Rowan, The Buildings of Ireland, North Leinster (Penguin) and other architectural survey-histories.

[ top ]

Notes
Dolmen Press: St. George’s Church at Hardwicke Place, Dublin was adopted by Thomas Kinsella as the cover of a first collection by Donald Davie in the Dolmen Poets series of which Davie - then a professor of English in Trinity College, Dublin, was board member. In the event, a dummy only was produced since Davie returned to England and published there.

[ top ]