1894-1987; b. Belfast; travel writer and author of celebrated works on Spain; his books describe Yegen, Carrington, Malaga and Churriana rather than Ireland and hold photos of himself with Bertrand Russell, Hemingway, and others; but concerns long association with Cambridge University Press. KUN
[ top ]
- The Literature of the Spanish People from Roman Times to the Present Day (2nd Ed. Cambridge UP 1953); Personal Record 1920-1974 (London: Jonathan Cape 1974), 381pp.;
- South from Granada (1957);
- The Spanish Labyrinth: An Account of the Social and Political Background of the Civil War (1943; 2nd edn. Cambridge UP 1950; 1990) [0521 04314 X];
- The Face of Spain (London: Turnstile Press 1950), and Do. [rep. edn.] (London: Penguin; Hamish Hamilton 1965), 269pp;
- St John of the Cross: His Life and Poetry, with trans. of his poetry by Lynda Nicholson (Cambridge UP 1973), xii, 233pp., 4, ill. facs.
[ top ]