1941- ; b. Dublin; ed. TCD, grad. 1963; appt. history teacher at Orangefield Boys Secondary School, Belfst, 1964; took DEd. at QUB, 1964; contrib. a five-part commissioned article on Battle of the Somme to the Sunday Times; issued History of Ulster (1992, rev. edns. 2001, 2007); chaired commission on cross-community curriculum resulting in the
Education for Mutual Understanding
(1989), a report to the Parliamentary under-secretary for education; awarded OBE for services to community, 2002; issued A Short History of Ireland in 240 daily episodes for the BBC, ending in March 2007 - later published by Gill & Macmillan (2008); issued The Plantation of Ulster (2012).
[ top ]
- Belfast: An Illustrated History, picture research by Henry V. Bell [rep. & corr. of 1982 1st edn.] Belfast:: Blackstaff Press 1983), 322pp., ill. [facsims, maps, ports.], 29cm.;
- with Stephen Conlin, Dublin: One Thousand Years of Wood Quay (Belfast : Blackstaff 1984), 34pp., ill.(some col.), maps; 31x43cm.
- with Stephen Conlin, Belfast: 1000 Years (Belfast: Blackstaff Press 1985), pp., ill. [maps on lining papers], 30cm.;
- Education for Mutual Understanding: A Cross Curricular Theme [Report to the Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Education] ([Belfast: Northern Ireland Curriculum Council] 1989), 49pp. [Bardon as chairman];
- A Shorter Illustrated History of Ulster (Belfast: Blackstaff Press 1996);
- "Continuity and Change in Ulster, Belfast and in Dublin" [PdhD] (University of Ulster 1998);
- A Guide to Local History Sources at Public Record Office of Northern Ireland [PRONI] (Belfast: Blackstaff 2000), 132pp.;
- A History of Ulster (Belfast: Blackstaff Press; USA Dufour Edns. 1992), [xii,] 914pp.; Do. [new updated edn.] (2001), xxvi, 914p.; and Do. (2007), xxvi, 914pp., ill. [maps], 24 cm.;
- with David Burnett, Belfast: A Pocket History (Belfast: Blackstaff Press 1996), 169pp., ill., 18cm.;
- Belfast, A Century, with picture research by with Wendy Dunbar, Hilary Bell (Belfast: Blackstaff Press 1999), xi, 204pp, chiefly ill., ports.;
- Beyond the Studio: A History of BBC Northern Ireland (Belfast: Blackstaff Press 2000), 230pp., ill. (some col.), 28 cm.;
- with Jimmy Davidson & James Kincade, The Castle and the Crown: The History of Royal School Dungannon, 1614-2004, ed. Trevor Parkhill ([Dungannon]: Royal School Dungannon 2004);
- with others, The 1608 Royal Schools, 1608-2008: The 1608 Royal Schools celebrate 400 years of history 1608-2008 (Northern Ireland: 1608 Royal Schools 2007), , 260pp., chiefly ill. (some col.), ports., maps, facsims., 31cm. [ills on lining papers];
- A History of Ireland in 240 Episodes (Dublin: Gill & Macmillan 2008), xvi, 560pp., ill. [32 p. of plates (some col.); maps, ports.], 24 cm.
- The Plantation of Ulster: The British Colonisation of the North of Ireland in the 17th Century (Dublin: Gill & Macmillan 2011), xxiv, 400pp. [Notes, p.346; Bibl., p.362; Index, p.371.]
[ top ]