William Stokes (1804-78)

Works


Life
son of Whitley Stokes, grad. MD (Edinburgh), 1825; worked as Meath Hospital physician along with Dr. Robert Graves, and reformed the teaching of chemistry; inaugurated Clinic Lectures; m. 1828; issued The Application of the Stethoscope (1828); also Diagnosis and Treatment of Diseases of the Chest (1837) and Diseases of the Heart and Aorta (1854), both long regarded as models of medical exposition; MD TCD conferred 1839; elected F. R. Coll. Phys. Irel. and three times President; ed. Dublin Journal of Medical Science;
 
fnd. Pathology Society, 1838; appt. Regius Prof. of Medicine (TCD), succeeding his father, 1843 [var. 1845 ODNB]; appt. physician-in-ordinary to Queen Victoria in Ireland, 1861; FRS, 1861; awarded LLD, Edinburgh (1866); LLD Cambridge (1874); Pres. of the RIA, 1874-48; Prussian Ordre pour le Merite [Prussian Order of Merit], 1876; wrote a life of his friend of George Petrie (1878); friend also of Frederick Burton; d. Howth; his son Sir William Stokes wrote a life (1898). CAB ODNB DIB DIH

[ top ]

Works
Incl. William Stokes, Life and Labours in Art and Archaeology of George Petrie, LD, MRIA (London: Longmans Green & Co. 1868), xvi, 445pp. [largely works of Petrie].

[ top ]

References
William J. Maguire, Irish Literary Figures (Dublin 1945), p.123ff, Medical Diploma with Sir Dominick Corrigan, Edinburgh, 1835; m. 1828; MD TCD 1839 conferred F. R. Coll. Phys. Irel. , and President three times; succeeded his father as Regius Prof. of Physics in TCD, 1845; LLD, Edinburgh (1866); LLD Cambridge (1874); Prussian Order of Merit. He had a large Dublin practice; Physician to the Meath Hosp., friend of Dr. Graves with whom he began medical reform and commenced the Clinical Lectures system; works incl. The Application of the Stethoscope (1828); Diagnosis and Treatment of Diseases of the Chest (1837) and Diseases of the Heart and the Aorta.

[ top ]

Notes
Portrait: Will. Stokes by Frederick Burton chalk NGI (see Anne Crookshank, ed., Irish Portraits Exhibition [Catalogue], Ulster Museum 1965).

[ top ]