Dg. of Prof. Pyle (Chair of English, TCD) and br. of Fergus Pyle (one-time Irish Times ed.); worked for National Gallery of Ireland, during which she published her early books on Jack Yeats and other Irish painters; issued catalogues and monographs on Jack Yeats, Estella Solomons, and ed. diary of Protestant nationalist and Gaelic Leaguer Frances Georgiana Chenevix Trench [1891-1918; aka Sadhbh Trinseach].
- James Stephens. His Work and an Account of His Life ( London 1965), xi 196pp., ill. [with pls. and bibl.]
- Intro. to James Stephens, The Charwomans Daughter  (Dublin & London: Scepter Books ), 139, pp. [printed by Naas: Leinster Leader Ltd.]
- Estella Frances Solomons, Portraits of Patriots; with a biographical sketch of the artist by Hilary Pyle (Dublin: Allen Figgis & Co. 1966), 37pp. ill. [pls. incl. self-portrait.];
- You Can Say That Again: Common Prayer in the Church of Ireland, with line drawings by Alicia Boyle (Dublin: APCK [in assoc. with Mothers Union of the United Dioceses of Dublin and Glendalough] 1977), q.pp.
- Jack B. Yeats: A Biography ( London: Routledge & Kegan Paul 1970; rev. edn. London: Deutsch, 1989), xii, 228p, [28 pls.]
- Jack B. Yeats and His Family: An Exhibition of the Works of Jack B. Yeats and his Family at the Sligo County Library and Museum, Sligo, 29th Oct. to 29th Dec. 1971 (Sligo: The Library and Museum 1971), 91pp. ill., ports.
- Intro., Mildred Anne Butler (1858-1941): An Irish Edwardian Watercolour Collection […] Crawford Municipal Art Gallery, Cork, 25th August - 30th September 1987 (Cork: Crawford Municipal Art Gallery 1987 ), 35pp. ill. [Catalogue]
- Yeats: Portrait of an Artistic Family (London: Merrell Holberton 1997), 304pp. ill. [some col.], geneal. table, ports (some col.).
- Red-headed Rebel: Susan L. Mitchell: Poet and Mystic of the Irish Cultural Renaissance (Dublin: Woodfield Press 1998), 248pp. ills.,, facsims., ports;
- Jack B. Yeats: an exhibition on the occasion of the twelfth International James Joyce Symposium, Monaco , June 1990 (Dublin: Jefferson Smurfit Group 1990 ), viii, 88pp. col ill.
- Jack B. Yeats: A Catalogue Raisonné of the Oil Paintings (London: Deutsch 1992), 3 vols. lxxxi, 1153pp; 598p of plates: ill. [29 cm]
- T. G. Rosenthal, The Art of Jack B. Yeats: Chronology, list of exhibitions, bibliography and notes on the plates by Hilary Pyle (London: Deutsch 1993), xi, 308pp.
- Jack B. Yeats: His Watercolours, Drawings and Pastels (Blackrock: IAP 1993), 214pp. ill.
- The Different Worlds of Jack B. Yeats: His Cartoons and Illustrations (Blackrock: IAP ), 343pp. [16pp. pls.]
- Monograph 1: Conor Fallon, contribs. by Seamus Heaney, Hilary Pyle, Vera Ryan and Ciarán MacGonigal (Kinsale Gandon Edns. 1996), 72pp. ill ; 28 cm
- The Sligo-Leitrim World of Kate Cullen, 1832-1913: A 19th century Memoir Revealed (Dublin: Woodfield Press ), xi, 137pp. ill.
- Jack B. Yeats at the Niland Gallery Sligo, ed. Donal Tinney; intro. and. and commentaries by Hilary Pyle and Fran Hegarty (Sligo County Library 1998), 58pp. ill.
- Estella Solomons, HRHA (1882-1968) [Exhib. 8th November 1999] (Dublin: Frederick Gallery 1999), 24ppp., ill.
- Suzanne Woods, ed., Drawings and Watercolours by John Butler Yeats & Jack B. Yeats in the Sligo Municipal Art Collection, foreword by Patrick T. Murphy; [text, essay and notes by Pyle] (2003).
- Cescas Diary 1913-1916: Where Art and Nationalism Meet, with a foreword by Douglas Hyde Sealy ( Dublin: Woodfield Press 2005), xxvii, 306pp., ill. [16pp. of pls.]
Denis Donoghue, review of James, Seumas and Jacques: Unpublished Writings of James Stephens edited by Lloyd Frankenberg and James Stephens: His Work and an Account of His Life by Hilary Pyle, in New York Review of Books (26 Aug. 1965).
[ top ]
Kith & Kin: Colum Pyle, her son, is organist at Queens University Belfast.