[ top ]
Henry Boylan, A Dictionary of Irish Biography [rev. edn.] (Gill & Macmillan 1988), bio-data: prob. b. Co. Meath; cornet in Col. Morriss dragoon at 16 or 17; visited Italy and made drawing in Venice; PH atoath, 1727; succeeded Thomas Burgh as surveyor-general in 1730; knighted 1732; his great work, the Houses of Parliament, College Green, foundation stone, 1729; also designed the obelisk in Stilorgan, and a theatre in Aungier St. Died of an abcess at his house in Stillorgan, 7 Dec.
Brian de Breffny, ed., Ireland: A Cultural Encyclopaedia (London: Thames & Hudson 1982)Brian de Breffny, ed., Ireland: A Cultural Encyclopaedia (London: Thames & Hudson 1982), bio-data: c.1699-1733; cousin of Sir John Vanbrugh, for whom he worked in London; prob. first arch. to travel in Italy to see buildings of antiquity at first hand; corresponded ther with Alessandro Galelei; his annoted copy of Palladios Quattro Libri is in the Elton Hall collection; credited with the introduction of Venetian and Diocletian windows to Ireland; authenticated surviving works, Stillorgan obelisk and grotto; palace at Cashel, 1731; Bellamont Forest, 1729; Castletown House, 1722-32, which he supervised for Galilei; south side of Upper Castle Yard; Parliament House, begun 1728, with colannaded entrance court and sumptuous House of Lords; Surveyor-Gen. in 1730; other buildings attributed on stylistic grounds. Bibl., Maurice craig, Sir Edward Lovett Pearce, Irish Georgian Society Bulletin, vol. xvii (1974), p.10. Note that there is a Malton aquatint print of the colonnaded entrance, as seen from the Dame St. prospect (looking East), 1793.
[ top ]