[Sir] Richard Morrison
1814-1843; b. Midleton, Co Cork; son of John Morrison, Arch., a pupil of Gandon who finished Protestant Cathedral at Cashel; published Useful and Ornamental Designs in Architecture (1793); intricately planned villas of which Castlegar (1803) and St Clerans (1811), both in Galway, are examples; rebuilt Lyons, Co. Kildare, for Lord Cloncurry, c.1810; remodelled Carton for the Duke of Leinster, c.1815; knighted 1841; designed the Catholic Pro-Cathedral, Dublin. ODNB BREF
E McPartland, Sir Richard Morrisons Country Houses, Country Life (24, 31 May 1973); The Architecture of Richard Morrison 1767-1849 and William Vitruvius Morrison 1794-1838 (Dublin: Irish Architectural Archive 1990), 203pp.
[ top ]