Louis de Paor
1961- ; b. Cork; moved to Australia, 1987; contrib. early poetry to Innti; issued Próca Solais is Luatha (1988), with Coisceim; published bilingual collection, Aimsir Bhreicneach/Freckled Weather (1993), shortlisted for Victorian Premiers Award for Literary Translation; holder of Writer's Fellowship by the Australia Council, 1995; issued 30 Dán (1992), winner of Seán Ó Ríordáin Oireachtas Poetry Award; issued Gobán Cré is Cloch/Sentences of Earth and Shore (1996); returned to Ireland, settling in Galway; issued Seo, Siúd agus Eile (1997); received 4th annual Lawrence OShaughnessy Award for Poetry (St Thomas in St Paul, Minnesota), March 2000;
issued Agus Rud Eile De (2003); app. Director of Irish Studies, NUI Galway; received the OShaughnessy Poetry Award of Univ. of St Thomas, Minnesota, 2000 ($5,000); issued Agus Rud Eile, De (2003), winner of Oireachtas prize; issued Ag Greadadh Bas sa Reilig / Clapping in the Cemetery (2005), a bilingual collection of his poems, 1988-99, with translation by Biddy Jenkinson, Mary ODonoghue, and Kevin Anderson; he is Director of the Centre of Irish Studies at NUI Galway; issued a documentary on Sean Ó Riordáin (TG4, 2013); drives a Mercedes.
[ top ]
- Próca Solais is Luatha: Dánta 1980-1987 (BAC: Coiscéim 1989), 43pp.;
- Coiscéim na hAoise Seo: Seán Ó Tuama agus Louis de Paor a roghnaigh (BAC: Coiscéim 1991) 153pp.;
- Faoin mBlaoisc Bheag Sin: an Aigneolaíocht i Scéalta Mháirtín Uí Chadhain (BAC: Coiscéim 1992), 388pp.;
- 30 Dán (1992);
- Aimsir Bhreicneach / Freckled Weather (Leros Press 1993),
- Gobán Cré is Cloch / Sentences of Earth and Shore (Melbourne: Black Pepper Press 1996; rep. 1997);
- Seo, Siúd agus Eile (BAC: Coscéim 1997);
- Agus Rud Eile De (BAC: Coiscéim 2003), 56pp., Do. [bilingual edn. as Agus rud eile de / And Another Thing (Cló Iar-Chonnacht 2010), 104pp.;
- Ag Greadadh Bas sa Reilig / Clapping in the Cemetery (Cló Iar-Chonnachta 2005), 232pp. [bilingual selected collection, with trans. by Biddy Jenkinson, Mary O'Donoghue & Kevin Anderson];
- Agus Rud Eile De / And Another Thing (Indréabhain: Cló Iar-Chonnact 2010), 104pp., ill. [bilingual selected collection, with trans. by Biddy Jenkinson, Mary O'Donoghue & Kevin Anderson; ill. by Kathleen Furey; musical settings by Ronan Browne].
- Ed., Leabhar Sheáin Uí Thuama (Coiscéim 1998) [25 poets in Irish, Scots Gaelic and English.]
[ top ]
Simon Caterson, Cultural Activist [interview], in Irish Studies Review, 6 (Spring 1994), pp.13-15. Frank Sewell, Between Two Languages: Poetry in Irish, English and Irish English, in Matthew Campbell, ed., The Cambridge Companion to Contemporary Irish Poetry (Cambridge UP 2003), pp.149-68.
See also review in Irish Literary Supplement ([q. iss.] 1995), p.35, which cites de Paors challenge to the prevailing Irish postcolonial orthodoxy from his adopted Australia (Innti, Vol. 14); also Irish Times notice (22 July 1997).
[ top ]